Sunday, September 9, 2012

Year 2 Day Day 163

Today is Sunday, September 9th and we've been here at Grafton Harbor Marina since last Wednesday.  This is a very nice marina and a great little town.  We had dinner Wednesday night with several other boaters and then had to say good-bye to them on Thursday morning.   I spent the day doing laundry and reading around the pool while Mike had a mechanic on board checking out a small fuel leak and then after a test run, Mike changed the oil.

We rented a car on Friday morning and headed to St. Louis where we spent the night at a Fairfield Inn in Fenton.  We couldn't work out the dinner with my cousin JoAnn so we went to the mall where I had my nails done.  Since it was raining pretty heavily, we had dinner at the mall and then headed back to the hotel.  We met JoAnn and her husband Joe at the Cracker Barrell for Breakfast and it was good to catch up as we hadn't seen her for about 10 years.  After a great breakfast, we headed to Steelville where I planned to visit my mom's grave.

JoAnn and Joe Slade


We discovered that all the small towns were having their Patriot Day celebration so they were very crowded but we enjoyed seeing small town America.  My mother was born and raised in Steelville and I remember visiting this small town numerous times as a child and one of the things I remembered was the park with all the ducks and it's still there.


We had a relaxing day and night in a motel in St. James, Missouri to include a trip to the local winery where I tasted several wines and purchased two.  After going to church this morning, we drove to St. Louis again and drove by my grandmother's old house which holds so many memories for me.  Unfortunately the current owners aren't taking very good care of the yard and my grandmother would be so unhappy if she could see it today.

We went grocery shopping and headed back to Grafton and the boat.  Just as we were getting close we got a call from a fellow boater who had just pulled into the marina.  We haven't seem them for awhile so I know we'll enjoy visiting before leaving Tuesday or Wednesday.




No comments:

Post a Comment